Saturday, November 26, 2011

A Week in Review

Life has sure gotten busy lately.  I am never on the computer, I don't watch TV and I never seem to be home.


So let's see... where did I last leave you...

Monday night I worked.  That's dull.  You don't want to hear about that.

Tuesday night was derby testing.  I did as expected.  I didn't make a complete ass of myself but I didn't pass my laps.  I wasn't disappointed at all with the evening.  The only people who passed were the two girls who had been in fresh meat for a few months and Scot, who started with us, but you could tell on the first night was pretty fearless on skates.  The entire team was there for a practice which was more than a bit intimidating but we also got to help out and watch a scrimmage at the end and that was fun. I continue to be amazed at how friendly and nice this group is.  Seriously.  I've never experienced anything like it.

Wednesday night was Fresh Meat Intake.  There were 10 new girls plus 4 of us from last week.   It was crowded on the track. The new people were going every which way and I'm still not able to turn on a dime to avoid them.  I'm surprised there weren't more collisions.  :) We broke into separate groups to work on things so we got to focus on some stuff we were still a little weak on, while they learned falls and stops.  I discovered I was doing crossovers wrong.  Sigh.  I'd been using my right leg to do all the work and I should be using my left.  

Thursday night I worked on my crossover problem (unsuccessfully), came home, made dinner, ate, soaked Coulee's feet and went to bed.  If it wasn't for soaking Coulee's feet every night for 10 minutes Marlin and I would barely see each other.  At least the soaks are good for something!  More on that in a separate post...

Friday night was more derby.  There seemed to be less people and there was only one instructor for the first part so we worked in one group.  It seemed way less crowded and everyone seemed much more stable.  Phew. One of the newbies said I looked smooth and effortless! LOL. I must have really improved!  Or maybe that was just in comparison to the newbies on the track.  :)  I have put my outdoor wheels on and I feel SO MUCH MORE stable!  I could always feel my indoor wheels sliding to the side, but the outdoor wheels are much, much sticker.  (I used them at work though on Thursday and talk about slow.  I'll need to be sure to change them every time I practice on my own.)  I think I figured out my crossover problem thanks to Jeremiah and Cherry Blaster. :) I'm going to practice this weekend to make sure.

And that's it. My week in review.  I spent the rest of my spare time walking the dogs, and making endless pounds of dog food for our two bottomless pits.


4 comments:

Mary Lou said...

I am looking forward to reading about you soaking Coulee's paws.... Even though this is a DIFFICULT thing to do.... I think about her a LOT. :-}

WigglyZack said...

Wow you will be the roller derby queen by the end of all your practices - sounds like you are having fun tho. Love the last photo of Coulee - brilliant

Karen said...

That photo of Coulee is amazing!

Mary Lou said...

EVERY photo of Coulee that you snap is AMAZING.... (Oh, and LACEY, too!!) ;)