Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Protective Gear Required


So the other day after the Word on the Street Festival, I needed to unwind, so I took the girls to Park Lake.  I was going to go for a nice long stroll with them - the weather was beautiful and on Sunday evenings, the park isn't busy so I was sure the path would be almost deserted.


It started off great.  The colours were beautiful and I still had Lorelei's camera so I had fun playing around.  We didn't really have a fall last year - we had a cold snap and all the leaves just died on the trees while still green - but this year the colours are amazing.



We hadn't been out for very long when I managed to step in a gopher hole, stumble and fall.  I fell right on the knee that I hurt 2 weeks ago.  It still hadn't totally healed.  I was able to do stairs pain free but kneeling was impossible and even the pressure on it if I'm laying on my stomach in bed causes pain.  So it REALLY hurt when I fell on it. I also scraped off the almost healed scabs and had fresh blood seeping through my pants.


The good news is, it didn't seem to do much more damage.  The stairs hurt for the first few days but now I'm back to where I was before this second fall.


The girls still needed exercise though, so instead of walking, we just hung out at the spot where we access the lake.  Lacey got lots of cookies and became quite demanding by jumping up and holding on to my leg.




And Coulee got lots of swimming in, which is better for her feet anyway.



I seriously think I need to start wearing protective gear while I'm out on a walk.  I've turned into an absolute klutz these past few weeks.  I can't imagine what I'll be like when things start to get icy!


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can pictuer it now, Wendy in full on derby gear to walk the dogs!



Dave

Andrea said...

Love Lacey with her tongue out and the wets ones of Coulee never disappoint!