Friday, April 29, 2011

The Scoop

The scoop is, there is no scoop.  I'm so frustrated I could cry.  Scratch that.  I'm so frustrated I did cry.

We know it isn't Lupus (we knew that before I thought).  It isn't Cancer (Cancer? That is the first time that was even mentioned as an option.).  It is some kind of hyperkeratosis - which is essentially a thickening of her pads.  We could see that.  What we didn't know was the cause.  And we still don't.

They are still doing more tests but the regular ones came back with no answers.  They are thinking about increasing her Zinc and her Vitamin A even though her breed make-up isn't prone to these deficiencies and she is on a balanced diet that shouldn't cause issues.  Basically it wouldn't hurt to try it and seeing as there is nothing else to do...

The vet is waiting until next week when the other results come back to determine a treatment plan.  I'm no longer holding my breath.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sucks to hear they didn't find something definitive - and after all that, too. Poor you and poor Coulee, hugs all around and fingers crossed that something can be done.
Sarah B.

Deirdre said...

Well the bright side is that you know it isn't lupis or cancer. That is good. Maybe you just need to get some of that fancy cream they use on old people for cracked heels and give her a paw-massage every night :)

Hug to you and a scratch behind the ears for Coulee.

onecollie said...

hang in there Wendy...the more "bad" things they eliminate the better.....
I know how hard it is :(

WigglyZack said...

No answers is awful, but they have ruled out two horrible ones. Hopefully they will be able to provide a treatment plan for her. Hang in there - I feel for you.

sandyv2222 said...

Well as frustrating as that is, at least there is some good news in there. Did the vet talk about an autoimmune disease? Sounds like what happens with eczema in humans, a hyperactive immune system, hence the thickening and shedding of skin. Treatment is immune suppressants, and light therapy. Just a thought, I'm sure your sick of theories but it popped into my head. I believe they use Prednisone in dogs. Anyway we are sending good thoughts.