Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Practice


I'm photographing an older dog tonight.  I'm not normally nervous before photo sessions but for this one, I know the dog isn't going to be running around making my job easy.  I know I'm going to have to pose him in front of things and get "pretty pictures".  I really don't set up shots very often so I felt I should go check out the area see what the light is like at this time of year and practice.


I'm so glad I practiced.  My first 50 or so shots were so bad they were very comical. I'm not exaggerating.  They were horrible. It took me a while to get in the groove of things.  :)


But between me and Coulee, we figured it out eventually.  I really couldn't ask for a better model.  She just sat or laid down wherever I asked her to, perked her ears and looked at me (or rather the toy in my hand).


Her only downfall is getting her to stand on command.  As soon as I said "stay", she'd sit or lay down as she knew she was going to be there a while.  If I told her to "go around" which is basically to back up more and wait for the toy to be thrown, I could get her to stand still but her final location wasn't always that predictable, but it worked out for the most part.


I'm starting to feel I should attempt this more often.  Maybe on holidays (next week!!!) I'll try it a bit more.  :)